How much does it cost to buy a star? It turns out the price may be lower than you think. The cost can range from around $20 to more than $100, so you can buy yourself or someone you love a celestial body at really good prices.
Eager to learn more? Keep on reading!
The Cost of Stars
The cost of a star can vary depending on which company you choose. Typically, stars can be purchased, or rather named, for less than $30 to more than $100.
Different Stars & Star Prices
That said, before you purchase a star in the sky, you need to decide what kind of star you want. There are three different types of stars that you can get:
- A standard star: you get a random star selected by a company you choose in the area visible to you. This package ranges from $20 to $60 (depending on the seller).
- A binary star: you get two stars that rotate around a common center of mass. They are more expensive than standard stars since they are brighter and less common. They cost anywhere from $50 to $100.
- A constellation star: you can pick a specific group of stars and buy a constellation star, such as the one from Orion’s belt or Scorpius. This is the most expensive option that can cost you over $100.
To sum up, the total price will depend on the different add-ons you choose. For example, some companies offer additional services for an extra fee, such as having your star certificate framed or getting a deluxe star map.
Finding the Place Where to Buy a Star
Many companies sell stars, but not all of them are reputable. You want to make sure you buy from a well-established company with good customer reviews.
Some companies we recommend include:
- Star Registration (basic star package $44.90 (certificate and celestial map included))
- International Star Registry (basic price $34.99)
- Name a Star Live (basic price $19.95)
- Star Name Registry (basic price $19.95), and
- Name a Star (basic price $19.95).
How Shopping for the Stars Goes
Now that you know what the best place to buy a star is, let’s talk about the shopping experience. How to buy a star is pretty simple.
- Pick a company. Again, make sure it’s reputable.
- Select the star gift package that fits your budget (standard star, binary star, or zodiac star).
- Choose the star you want. This is usually done by finding the star’s coordinates on a map.
- Name the star. For example, you can name a star after someone you love.
- Once you’ve completed all the steps, you’ll receive a certificate proving you “own” the star, which is legally registered to your name in the company’s register.
Keep in mind that this is an unofficial certificate, which means the name of your star won’t be listed in catalogs and astronomical databases, and the IAU won’t recognize it. It will only be listed on the company’s star register.
Is It Really Possible to Purchase a Star?
Since no one owns celestial bodies, you can’t legally buy a star for someone and call it your/their property. However, what you can do is purchase a star name through one of the many companies that offer this service. These companies are not selling the star itself, but rather, they’re selling you the right to name a star on their lists.
The International Astronomical Union (IAU) is the only organization that decides what stars are called. This means that the name you choose for your star won’t be listed in any IAU astronomical database or catalog.
So, what do you get when you buy a star online? You get a parchment with the star’s name inscribed and a unique star map in the company’s list of stars.
Therefore, if you’re looking for an idea for a cheap date to make your partner feel special, why not go stargazing only to reveal you’ve named a star after them?
So there you have it — everything you ever wanted to know about star buying. It’s not as expensive as you might think, and for the price of a few pizzas, you could be the proud owner of your very own star!
Can I buy a star from NASA?
The answer is a clear no. You can’t buy a star from NASA because NASA doesn’t sell stars.
Also, the names of the stars have nothing to do with NASA. The International Astronomical Union (IAU) is the only organization that names celestial objects.
The IAU does not sell the stars, so you can’t buy a star from them either. What you can do is purchase the right to name a star on a certain website.
Is it true that you can buy a star?
In a way, it’s true that you can become a star owner. While you can’t buy a star in the traditional sense, you can buy it through one of many commercial companies.
These companies will give you a certificate with the name of the star inscribed on it and provide you with a unique map that shows the location of your new celestial object.
So, how much does it cost to buy a star? It depends on the company you choose and the package you select. Most companies offer packages that start at around $20 and go up to $100.