Here are some of the best business ideas for women looking to start their entrepreneurial journey. The options cover many business sectors, business modules, and include ideas that require various levels of financial commitments or academic skills. It’s probably safe to assume that the modern business environment is becoming increasingly supportive for women of all backgrounds. For instance, the most recent statistics show that more than 12.3 million businesses in the US are owned by women, representing 40% of all businesses in 2021.
In fact, women-owned businesses generate about $1.8 trillion annually, and the numbers are expected to grow each year.
Let’s take a closer look!
What Is the Best Business for Women to Start?
The best one would be either part- or full-time with flexible business hours, particularly at home or in an office. In essence, flexibility is one of the biggest criteria when it comes to female-owned businesses, especially at the start.
That said, finding the perfect, female-friendly business idea can be tricky with so many options and today’s highly competitive business environment — hence why it’s important to identify your skill set, expertise, talent, training, and academic qualification to figure out which option(s) is best for you.
Here’s to name but a few.
Blogging is one of the most profitable online business ideas for women and is relatively easy to set up. Namely, if you love writing and have certain skills, opinions, or you simply have a story to share, blogging is an excellent idea; all you need is a reliable computer, stable internet, and you’re good to go!
- Monthly income: $200 to $15,000 a month
- Requirements: Superb writing skills
Graphic design offers numerous opportunities if you have the requisite training. For example, you can start a graphic design firm or work as a freelancer.
- Monthly income: $4,023 a month
- Requirements: a degree in graphic arts, design, or communications
Real Estate Agent
Becoming a real estate agent is a fantastic option if you have the right training and necessary experience, especially considering how valuable property is at the moment and how often people hunt for homes.
- Monthly income: $6,908 a month
- Requirements: requirements vary by state, but good training is enough in most cases
Business ideas for women at home in recent years feature a new job — that of a virtual assistant. In a nutshell, with this job, you would provide administrative support to a person or business remotely. And you can either set up your own business or work as a freelancer.
- Monthly income: $5,592 a month
- Requirements: high school qualification or equivalent
If planning parties or big gatherings pretty much comes naturally to you, then this could be your calling. Working from home is an option in this case as well.
- Monthly income: $4,166 per month
- Requirements: a degree in business, administration, marketing, hospitality, communications, and related courses is desirable, yet not obligatory.
Catering is a business for ladies with low investment. Namely, you can open a food service business without too much capital and serve various deliciousness; potentially local. Still, this one does require a lot of paperwork and impeccable conditions for preparing and storing food.
- Monthly income: $3,521 per month (owner salary)
- Requirements: excellent cooking and organizational skills
There is a massive demand for website designers and consultants for the ever-expanding online world. Best of all is that you can work fully remotely if you wish to do so. In these pandemic-ridden times, this would make for an excellent side business for ladies who need a digital outlet for their creativity and prefer to remain at home.
- Monthly income: you can expect an average of $4,650 a month
- Requirements: IT certificate
Mobile App Developing
If you love coding and programming and have the necessary training, skills, and creativity, you can either design your own apps or build different apps based on demand to sell for profit.
- Monthly income: $8,491 a month
- Requirements: in-depth knowledge in programming for various operating systems
You can also start a brand new affiliate marketing business without developing or selling any products of your own.
- Monthly income: $12,891 a month
- Requirements: exceptional marketing skills and IT knowledge
Editing and Proofreading
If you love reading, possess a strong command of language (both written and oral), have excellent writing and editing skills, and are capable of thorough research and fact-checking, you can start your very own editing and proofreading business.
- Monthly income: $3,916 a month
- Requirements: impeccable literacy coupled with excellent reading and writing skills
Online Educational Services
What is the best business for a woman to start if she has had some teaching experience? Educational services are an obvious choice and they also suit beginners who are keen on helping people study and learn new skills. Hence, if you love absorbing and sharing knowledge, then an education-oriented business may be ideal for you.
- Monthly income: $5,075 a month
- Requirements: a Bachelor’s degree in education
A bookkeeper can easily record financial transactions from the comfort of their home if they so desire. You can quickly start a freelance service handling various bookkeeping tasks for businesses. In fact, accounting is the most outsourced sector today.
- Monthly income: $4,591 a month
- Requirements: a bachelor’s degree in accounting
Freelance Content Writing
Freelance content writing is yet another great way to earn money from home. In essence, you can make a hefty profit if you have profound knowledge of a subject, know how to research and interpret data, and adjust to various writing requirements.
- Monthly income: $5,267 a month
- Requirements: exceptional writing and research skills
Amazon FBA Seller
If you like shopping and finding slash sales, you might want to consider an Amazon FBA program, which is yet another lucrative business opportunity in our series of good business ideas for women. Here you sell goods in Amazon’s store while you outsource all the nitty-gritty (read: inventory management) to Amazon, making it extremely beginner-friendly.
- Monthly income: between $100 and $5,000 monthly
- Requirements: a keen eye for spotting prime products and exceptional marketing knowledge
Arts and Crafts Maker
This business opportunity is perfect for female entrepreneurs in search of a creative outlet. Creating unique and beautiful handmade products and various items for decorative purposes is the main goal of this enterprise (apart from the profit that is). From embroidery to wooden crafts and art pieces, the sky is the limit!
- Monthly income: $2,975 a month on average
- Requirements: experience in creating various arts and craft products
Small business ideas for women can be fashion-related. If you have an eye for fashion, love to make new clothes and fashion designs, or merely enjoy buying and selling fashion products and accessories, you might want to open your own boutique.
- Monthly income: $6,013 per month on average
- Requirements: a degree in fashion and design helps, although not necessary
Sell Digital Products Online
You can make money selling various digital products ranging from digital downloads, courses, and printables. For example, Etsy is one of the most popular platforms for such enterprises.
- Monthly income: $500–$1,000 a month on average
- Requirements: fair understanding of digital marketing
Social Media Influencer
Social media influencers are becoming increasingly popular; you can be one too if you enjoy taking catchy photos and promoting brands on various media platforms. As a matter of fact, as much as 84% of Instagram influencers are female.
- Monthly income: $3,891 a month on average
- Requirements: excellent social media marketing skills
As social media is swarming with images of creative nail art, you can imagine this type of service is very much in demand. For all those who have the patience and good people skills, this could be an extra source of income. Also, opening your own beauty salon is a good business for women who can easily predict what their future clients require.
Monthly income: $3,443 a month on average
Requirements: a finished course
If you’re an aspiring female entrepreneur looking for simple business ideas for women, there are endless options you can choose from. The most important thing is that you have the drive, passion, expertise, and other requirements needed to thrive in those businesses. The options mentioned above are excellent places to start, although the list is in no way exhaustive.
What are new business ideas for women?
Website flipping, SEO professional, virtual assistant, dropshipping, website testing, Instagram consultant — these are just some of the businesses and jobs you could start in the new year. All these business ideas for women require certain digital skills, but you can gain those with a special course or get educated on your own with helpful resources.