How much is Invisalign going to cost you with or without insurance? In both cases, the short answer would be — a lot! But before we delve into the numbers, let’s take a look at what Invisalign actually is and what makes it so valuable. Then we’ll guide you through everything you need to know about Invisalign and its price(s).
What Is Invisalign?
Invisalign is an orthodontic treatment that uses clear, plastic aligners to straighten teeth. It is a popular alternative to metal braces because it is much less noticeable. Invisalign treatment involves wearing a series of aligners that gradually move your teeth into the desired position.
In short, you wear each set of aligners for about two weeks and then you replace it with the next set in the series. The entire treatment process takes between 6 to 21 months, though this largely depends on individual factors.
How Much Does Invisalign Cost?
The average cost of Invisalign is $5,700 for a full package, but it can range from $1,800 to $9,500, depending on the treatment length and the severity of the case.
Full, Teen, and Express are the most popular Invisalign treatments:
- Full Invisalign package costs between $3,500 and $9,500
- Teen Invisalign package costs between $2,000 and $5,000
- Express Invisalign package costs between $1,800 and $3,000
Several factors will affect the Invisalign price range, including:
- The length of the treatment: treatment time varies depending on how complex your case is. Simple cases may only take a few months, while more complex cases can take up to two years.
- The number of aligners: you will need to wear several aligners throughout your treatment. The more aligners you need, the higher the cost will be.
- Additional treatments: in some cases, you may need to wear rubber bands or retainers, which will add to the cost.
- Your doctor’s location
Invisalign Monthly Cost
How much is Invisalign per month? If you have a payment plan, the monthly Invisalign treatment cost can range from $50 to $400, depending on the total amount of your treatment, the duration of your payment plan, and your dentist.
Because the Invisalign corporation does not set the cost, your Invisalign dentist determines your monthly Invisalign expense.
When it comes to location, Northeast residents and those living along the West Coast will generally spend more money on Invisalign.
The most expensive states to get Invisalign when discussing urban areas:
- California: $6,500–$9,000
- New York: $6,500–$9,000
- Hawaii: $6,500–$8,000
- Massachusetts: $6,000–$8,000
The states with the lowest Invisalign price are:
Alabama: $3,500– $5,500
Invisalign and Dental Insurance
Most dental insurance policies do not cover Invisalign because it is considered a cosmetic treatment. However, some dental insurance companies (such as Cigna, Delta Dental, and Humana) cover it.
How much is Invisalign with insurance? Most plans cover 25%–50% of the cost. However, like all forms of insurance, dental insurance plans have a lifetime limit. Once you reach the maximum amount on your policy, you will be responsible for any remaining or additional expenses.
That said, there are a few ways to make Invisalign more affordable. For example, you can use a health savings account (HSA) or a flexible spending account (FSA). If you don’t have HSA or FSA, you can deduct your expenses from your income tax return if it exceeds 7.5% of your gross income.
How much is Invisalign without insurance? If you don’t have dental insurance, the cost of Invisalign will be entirely out-of-pocket. The average cost of Invisalign is $5,700, but it can range from $1,800 to $9,500.
Moreover, if your dentist suggests Invisalign Assist, you’ll need a second set of trays called refinements. These trays are already part of the treatment package. In case you require more, each additional tray could set you back around $300.
On a positive note, you can save on the cost of treatment by checking for discounts and special offers from your orthodontist. Plus, dental treatments in dental clinics are less expensive than those provided by private dentists.
Invisalign vs Braces
Braces can range in price from $3,000 to $10,000, depending on the type:
- Metal braces (traditional): $3,000–$7,000
- Ceramic braces: $4,000–$8,000
- Lingual braces (behind the teeth): $8,000–$10,000
On that note, compared to traditional (metal) braces, Invisalign is more expensive. However, if you compare the price of lingual braces with the average price of Invisalign, you’ll notice the former is much more expensive ($8,000–10,000 vs $5,700).
On the other hand, compared to the price of veneers, Invisalign is a far cheaper option since dental veneers cost between $250 and $2,500 per tooth.
Good Value for Money or Not?
So, should you pay the price for Invisalign and invest a couple of thousands? While its cost can sometimes be daunting, it’s often worth it for patients who want to perfect their smile without metal braces. Plus, many benefits make Invisalign worth the splurge:
- Invisalign is virtually invisible, so you can straighten your teeth without anyone knowing you’re wearing aligners.
- Invisalign is removable. You can take them out for special occasions, like your wedding day or your child’s graduation.
- Invisalign is more comfortable than traditional braces, and there are no food restrictions. You can eat whatever you want without worrying about breaking a bracket or getting food stuck between the braces and the teeth.
So, is getting Invisalign worth it? With all of the pros and cons considered, only you and your dentist can answer that question. However, if you’re looking for a teeth-straightening treatment that doesn’t involve metal braces, Invisalign might be the right choice.
Hopefully, we’ve given you a few good reasons to take the plunge if you’re still on the fence about Invisalign costs. It’s an investment in your smile and health, and it can be a great way to improve your appearance without anyone knowing you’re even wearing braces.
Is Invisalign cheaper than braces?
The short answer is — it depends. For example, getting the Full Invisalign package will cost you more ($3,500 and $9,500) than getting traditional (metal) braces ($3,000–$7,000).
At the same time, lingual braces are more expensive than the Full Invisalign package, Teen Invisalign package, or Express Invisalign package.
How much is Invisalign every month?
People with payment plans will pay between $50 and $400 per month. The overall price will depend on the total amount of the therapy, the length of their payment plan, the location, and the dentist.
Keep in mind that Invisalign does not have a price range. It is up to your dentist to determine your monthly cost.
How much does Invisalign actually cost to make?
Invisalign treatment can range anywhere from $1,800 to $9,500. Several factors can affect how much you’ll pay for Invisalign treatment. These include:
- The severity of your misalignment. It determines how long your treatment plan will be and how many aligners you’ll need, ultimately affecting the cost.
- Your orthodontist’s fee.
- The length of your treatment. Invisalign treatment takes between 6 to 21 months to complete, which is quite a disparity.
- Whether or not you have insurance. If you have dental insurance, it will likely cover a portion (25%–50%) of the cost of Invisalign treatment.
- Your location. The price of Invisalign treatment can vary depending on where you live. If you live in a major metropolitan area, you can expect to pay more. How much is Invisalign going to cost you if you live in California, for instance? $6,500–$9,000, which is also the highest price in the US.