Do you want to know how to make money on Snapchat, monetize your account, and generate revenue from your followers? To help you out, we’ve created a guide where we’ll cover topics such as creating viral videos and becoming a Snapchat influencer.
So whether you’re just starting out on Snapchat or you’re looking for more ways to make money from your account, read on for tips and tricks that will help you grow your business!
What Is Snapchat?
Before telling you how to make money on Snapchat in 2022, let’s first take a quick look at what Snapchat is. Snapchat is a social media app that allows users to share photos and videos (snaps) with their followers.
These snaps will be available for 24 hours before they disappear forever. In addition to sharing snaps, users can also send messages to one another, create group chats, and add filters and effects to their photos and videos.
Basic Snapchat Vocabulary
If you want to make money on Snapchat, you need to know how the app works. Even though it is similar to other social media apps, there are some key terms and phrases that you need to understand.
- Chat — A way to communicate with friends or groups. Chats will be automatically deleted after they’ve been viewed or are expired.
- Stories — Photos and videos that are available for 24 hours. After that, Snapchat will delete them.
- Live Stories — Photos or videos of users at events or specific locations that are available for only 24 hours.
- Lenses — You can use augmented reality to add effects to your selfies. You can send these selfies to your friends or post them on Stories.
- Filters — Static photo overlays similar to lenses but without augmented reality.
- Snap Map — This feature allows users to share their location with friends. Friends appear on a map as cartoon characters called Bitmojis.
- Snapchat Spotlight — Right now, the best way to make Snapchat money is through Spotlight. This feature allows users to submit their best videos and earn a share of $1 million per day.
How to Earn Money Through Snapchat?
Now that we’ve covered the basics of Snapchat let’s discuss how you can make money from your account. There are a few different ways to generate cash, and we’ll go over each one in more detail below.
1. Create Snaps (Viral Videos)
The more people view your videos, the better chance you have of earning money from Snapchat. Every day, Snapchat pays out more than $1 million to people who make videos through Spotlight. This feature first launched in 2020 and it’s similar to TikTok and Instagram Reels.
How to Make Money on Snapchat Spotlight?
First, you need to create a video. Try to come up with creative and original ideas that haven’t been used before. You can also use humor to get people’s attention.
If you manage to create a video that gets a lot of shares, this is a great way to get more followers, and more money at the same time.
How to create a snap?
- Shoot vertical videos with sound (recommended aspect ratio is 9:16).
- Make them 4 to 60 seconds long.
- Use sounds, captions, GIFs, or lenses to make them pop out.
- Warning: you are not allowed to make sponsored or promotional snaps. You are also not allowed to make videos on weapons, gambling, controlled substances, alcohol, or tobacco.
Once you’re done, click on the “Send to” icon (in the bottom right corner) and tap “Spotlight.” You also need to agree to Spotlight terms. When your video gets accepted to Spotlight, it will say “Live.”
How does Snapchat pay you for views? It does so through an algorithm that chooses which videos to show. The algorithm looks at how many times a video has been skipped, watched, shared, or liked. The more a video is watched and shared, the more money its creator can make.
In fact, within the first couple of months after Spotlight was released, Snap paid $42 million to more than 2,000 creators.
For example, a Snapchat user, Sarah Callahan (aka Sarati), managed to make more than $1 million within three months due to her videos on Spotlight. At the moment, Spotlight’s top performer is a young American photographer, Cam Casey.
2. Become a Snapchat Influencer
- $500 for 1,000–5,000 views
- $1,000–$3,000 for 5,000–10,000 views
- $3,000–5,000 for 10,000–20,000 views
- $5,000–10,000 for 30,000–50,000 views
- $10,000–$30,000 for 50,000–100,000 views
How to become a Snapchat influencer?
First, you need to build up a following on the platform in order to earn that Snapchat money. You can do this by posting interesting and engaging content that will resonate with your audience. Make sure to post regularly and interact with your followers to encourage them to stick around.
Once you’ve built up a decent following, you can start reaching out to brands and pitching yourself as an influencer. You’ll need to show them how many followers you have and how engaged your audience is. If you can prove that you’re influential on Snapchat, then you’ll be in a good position to score some paid work.
3. Promote Affiliate Products
Another way to make money on Snapchat is via affiliate marketing. Snapchat is a great way to run affiliate marketing campaigns. You can post links to products and you don’t need as many followers as other platforms, such as TikTok, to do it.
There are three ways to add affiliate links on Snapchat: in snaps sent to your followers, in Snapchat Stories, and in one-on-one chats.
You can also create product teasers, add photos with promo codes or special offers, create brand stories, or host contests.
4. Design and Sell Snapchat Filters
How to make money selling pics on Snapchat? Start by designing your own filters — take a picture and use an overlay. You can also create augmented reality lenses.
For example, Ana Casciello is a part of a community of about 100 people who create customized augmented reality lenses for Snapchat. Her creations have been viewed over 17 billion times and helped her get 214,000 followers on Snapchat.
She is selling her filters on Etsy for up to $49.00.
5. Use Snapchat Premium
Premium Snapchat is just like regular Snapchat, but limited to a certain group. The only difference is that the content on this platform can be viewed only by people who pay for access. It also goes by the name Private Snap.
Premium Snapchat is used by people who want to sell private content such as videos and photos. There are two ways to access it on Snapchat: subscription, or payment for each individual post.
How to make money on Snapchat premium? You need to find out what your subscribers or followers want to see. If you can give them what they want, they might be willing to pay for it.
How to make a Premium account?
- Go to the story view settings and change it to friends only
- In the contact settings, choose who can message you.
- Register for a third-party Snapchat. This way you’ll be able to get payments. You can also set your rates.
So, there you have it! Five ways that you can make cash on Snapchat. It takes a little bit of work to get started, but once you’ve got a few snaps under your belt and some affiliate deals in place, the sky’s the limit.
So, get creative and start monetizing your Snapchat account!
How many views to make money on Snapchat Spotlight?
First, you must have more than 100,000 views on a single snap video on Spotlight. Secondly, this has to occur over the course of one or two days to be considered by the app’s algorithm.
As mentioned above, the program will choose the video based on how many times it has been watched, skipped, liked, or shared. The more views and share a video has, the more likely you will make money.
How many users will get paid for views? There is no set number. However, you need to be over 13 years to submit snaps and over 16 to get paid.
Does Snapchat pay you for subscribers?
Yes, if you have a Premium Snapchat. This way, people will pay to view your Private Snaps. In other words, people who want to see the content you post must pay a subscription fee, either monthly or every other week.
How much does Snapchat pay per view?
Snapchat doesn’t offer its users a traditional pay-per-view like other platforms (for example, TikTok and YouTube). Instead, it uses Spotlight, an algorithm that picks snaps with the most views. Those videos can generate up to $1 million.
However, as a Snapchat influencer, you can make money by partnering with brands. Snapchat influencers get paid:
- $500 for 1,000–5,000 views
- $1,000-$3,000 for 5,000–10,000 views
- $3,000-5,000 for 10,000–20,000 views
- $5,000-10,000 for 30,000–50,000 views
- $10,000-$30,000 for 50,000–100,000 views
So, if you want to know how to make money on Snapchat, one of the ways is to become an influencer.